The Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Award for medical sciences has allocated Dh2 million to fund 10 scientific projects at the United Arab Emirates University, University of Sharjah, New York Abu Dhabi University, and Dubai Health Authority.
The award brings the total number of projects funded since its establishment in 1999 to 132.
Abdullah bin Souqat, the executive director of Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Award for medical sciences conveyed his gratitude to H.H. Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Deputy Ruler of Dubai, the UAE Minister of Finance and the patron of the Award for his continuous support of the sciences, scientists and scientific research.
He noted that the award plays and important role in healthcare research in the UAE and added that it was the first local entity tocontribute funding to medical research at the local level.
The research projects were selected based on their ability to advance healthcare in the UAE.
The following studies were selected:
1. Identification of a genetic and molecular basis for hearing loss in two UAE affected families – Dr Abdul-Aziz Tlili, Department of Applied Biology, College of Medicine, University of Sharjah.
2. Genetic and transcriptomic analysis of hyperlipidemia in Emirati patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus using saliva and blood samples – Dr Bashair Mohamed Mussa, Basic Medical Sciences Department, College of Medicine, University of Sharjah.
3. Novel molecular biomarkers of genitourinary, breast & gynecological malignancies in a United Arab Emirates population – Dr Alia Saeed Albawardi, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University.
4. Investigation of Cardio-vascular risk predictions using joint modelling of longitudinal biomarkers and time-to-event data – Dr Abderrahim Oulhaj from, Institute of Public Health, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University.
5. Examination of breastfeeding self-efficacy, infant feeding methods, and perinatal mental health among women in the United Arab Emirates: A Cohort Study – Dr Hadia Radwan, Department of Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics, College of Health Sciences, University of Sharjah.
6. The effects of extended higher dose of vitamin D supplement on endothelial dysfunction in adult middle-aged obese and vitamin D3 deficient individuals in a UAE population – Dr Adel Bahgat Elmoselhi, Basic Medical Sciences Department, College of Medicine, University of Sharjah.
7. Prevalence and risk factors of atopy among Emiratis – Dr Suleiman Mohammad Suleiman Eisa Al-Hammadi, Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University.
8. Effect of melatonin on glucose levels in diabetes mellitus type 2: a randomized controlled cross-over trial – Dr Bilal Ahmed, Dubai Diabetes Center, UAE.
9. The effects of glucose deprivation on cellular respiration and bioenergetics in murine brain tissue – Dr Narchi Hassib, Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University.
10. Study on molecular mechanisms of sanguinary induced necroptosis in human colorectal cancer, a path to developing better anticancer therapeutics – Professor Galadari Sehamuddin, Biology Department, New York Abu Dhabi University.
|Date of upload: 16th Sep 2017|
Copyright © 2017 MiddleEastHealthMag.com. All Rights Reserved.